Thursday, June 11, 2015

Being Active While You Travel

Happy Thursday to you! 

This week has zoomed by, probably because I feel like I'm still trying to get back in the normal routine and then the weekend pops up and it's like "OK, time to relax again!" 

Along with the normal stuff after vacation: laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc, etc. I have tried to get back into my workout routine. And it hasn't been easy. 

Before I leave on vacation (especially one where you'll be in a bathing suit almost 24/7), Iam determined to eat healthy and workout. I'm kind of working out specifically for that vacation in a way. It's a little goal in my head.

Now that vacation has come and gone, that determination might dwindle down to an empty tank. Although summer time has just started and I know I'll be in a bathing suit at least once a week for the next 12 weeks, I still have that after-vacation slump. 
Am I alone on this? 

Question: Are you one to workout on vacation or totally throw working out out the window and focus on 100% relaxation and/or eating all.the.foods.?

I'm kind of in-between while Angelo is the opposite. He wants to work out everyday, while I'd rather do something adventurous on vacation in place of a workout. Playing in the pool all day with the kids = my workout for the day. 

You see, during a normal week I'm constantly trying to fit a workout in. Not to the point that I'm hard on myself, it's just the fact that working out makes me feel good. But, when I'm on vacation it's nice to not have to think about it sometimes. 

While we were packing for Jamaica, I included 2 workout outfits and told Angelo, we should go running on the beach at least twice. 


Did this running on the beach happen? IT DID! But, instead of the normal running that I was thinking, we did sets of sprints, suicides, push ups, and mountain climbers. A beach circuit right there on the beach while the girls played in the sand. Sophia even joined in and did some sprints with us. Family bonding at it's finest... :)

One of the things I know I don't want to do while on vacation is visit the resort gym. It's just not on my to-do list...ever. 

Five Tips for Being Active While You Travel

1. Tabata circuits in your hotel room. 
Get the Tabata Timer app and do your thing. I usually pick 4 workouts and do 4 rounds.
Example:
Round 1: High Knees & Jumping Jacks. 
Round 2: Push ups & Burpees. 
Repeat Rounds.
You can do this before the kids wake up in the morning, while they take a nap, or when they're just playing around in the hotel room. 

2. Plan to do a hike or walking tour as an excursion. Find an excursion that fits your fitness level. Don't do something you know will be too exhausting and strenuous. You want to enjoy it! 

3. Be adventurous. Rent a kayak, bike, or paddle board. Many places will offer lessons if you need them. 

4. Use what you have. If you're on a beach, do some beach sprints. If your in the city, find a playground where your kids can play while you do some pull ups on the monkey bars. I you're in the pool, do some water lunges, or dolphin kicks like holding onto pool wall. If you have some time to spare and you're just hanging out in the hotel room, turn on some music and have a dance party! You can literally workout anywhere...on anything. Be creative and make it fun. 

5. Don't be hard on yourself. Just remember that you're on vacation so you probably won't get in your normally routine exercises. If you get in 30-50% of what you usually do at home, consider that amazing!

I know working out isn't a #1 priority while on vacation, but if you're like me and working out makes you feel good, you'll want be active where ever you are!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Good on you! Besides walking and some yoga, I was SO bad about exercising when I was out of town last week!

    ReplyDelete