Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Getting ready: FirstWatch Sarasota Half Marathon with GU Energy Gels

**I have been selected to run the FirstWatch Sarasota 10th Anniversary Half Marathon courtesy of Tampa Bay Bloggers**

The race is March 15th in Sarasota, Fl. As of Wednesday of last week it is OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT!  Congratulations if you got a spot! This will by my first time running the Sarasota Half and I am so excited to be representing our blogging/running community! The course will be 13.1 miles of beautiful Florida beaches, up and over the John Ringling Causeway, and circling the historic St.Armand's Circle. 

It is the 10th anniversary of the race so I will receive this premium quality, fitted, ultra-lightweight, awesome running jacket

along with the usual race tech-shirt. To congratulate me at the finish line (for running the best half-marathon of my life...), a First Watch gourmet breakfast, beer (yay beer!), and a LARGE race medal will be presented.

One of my previous posts talked about the running training plan for the race. (I’m actually a few weeks ahead of the training plan since I started with Angelo, who is running a half marathon a few weeks before me)  But a plan is a plan, so I guess I’ll be EXTRA ready. If there is such a thing…

There are 6 weeks before the race and within those 6 weeks, I have 4 more long runs (10 miles or over) to “practice” for this Sarasota Half Marathon. By practice, I mean I am going to experiment with different foods (pre-run), energy gels, shoes, and apparel so I know what works the best for me.

This past weekend we ran our last long run for January. That put us at 233.2 miles for the year so far! (We’re going for the 2015 miles in 2015) During this run I used a GU Energy gel half way through at mile 6. 

I've used GU energy gels during past half marathons and I like them because they don’t hurt my stomach and they taste good! My favorite is the Vanilla Bean flavor. 
The past four weeks during our long runs, I would hit the "wall" around mile 11. I would have to stop and stretch out a bit before making that last mile home. I promised myself not to take anymore long runs without an energy gel!

Are bridges your worst or best part of races?
What is your favorite energy gel? 
How do you prevent hitting that "wall" during long runs?

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment