Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Recipe: Lactation Cookies for Nursing Mommies

Good Morning!

You know those days that you wake up and it's almost instant stress because of the busy packed schedule you have? That's today. I have one thing after another and probably won't get a breather until 3 p.m. Life as we know it, right?

You know who else has a busy packed schedule? New mommies! Yeah the schedule is redundant (feed baby, clean baby, put baby to sleep, repeat), but when you're in the middle of that routine it can feel like it's much more than that. Your whole day is gone and you're wondering what you did... LOL I remember Angelo coming home from work and asking how my day was and my answer was always "well, I fed the baby..." because that's literally what I did all day. 

The thing I love most about nursing is that it seems to slow things down. When I had Nelps, and I would take Sophia to the playground or anywhere to get out of the house, I remember being so stressed leaving the house with a newborn. Then I would find a spot, sit down, and nurse her and it was like a forced slow down. Stress relief!

Before Alisha had her baby on Sunday we talked about me making her some lactation cookies. She didn't have the easiest time with her first child, so she wanted to do everything possible this time to make it go a little smoother. 

I brought these cookies to the hospital the day she had her baby and she said they taste great! They aren't huge on flavor (except that little delicious kicks of chocolate), but they seem to get the job done, or at least be a little assistance. 

I've seen many other lactation cookie recipes on Pinterest, but I picked this recipe by Fitnessista.com because of the wholesome ingredients and no added sugar.

I think these cookies are great for anytime snacking, even in the middle of the night when you're up with the baby. 

Lactation Cookies


What you need:
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour (I used brown rice flour because that's what I had...Almond meal would work perfectly)
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp Brewer'sYeast
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt
1/2 cup maple syrup (darker the better)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips
What you do:
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease two baking sheets with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: oats, flour, chia seeds, brewer's yeast, hemp seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
In a smaller bow whisk together the wet ingredients: maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold in chocolate chips.
Using a tablespoon and hands, make small balls with the dough and softly flatten into a cookie shape on the baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes until set.
Let cool completely
Enjoy or wrap up and bring to a new mommy friend!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I have GOT to remember Fresh Kitchen next time I'm wondering where to go eat!
    And good luck on your tri! I've done a couple of sprint distance and they are SO fun! :)

    ReplyDelete