Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fit Pregnancy

HEY! How was everyone's weekend? Ours was a laid-back, uneventful kind of weekend. Sometimes those are the best, right? We hung out at the house a lot and went to a BBQ honoring my best friend's pregnancy announcement! I'm so excited that Sophia will have a friend to play with in our group of friends. Since our weekend was full of pregnancy and baby talk, I wanted to talk about having a "fit pregnancy". My pregnancy was pretty smooth & easy. I only got sick a handful of times and didn't have any complications during delivery. 

When I first found out I was pregnant I read a lot of books and studies about numerous subjects concerning pregnancy and babies. This is how I maintained a “Fit” Pregnancy

Walk every day. There are so many benefits of walking during pregnancy. I believe walking is one of the best exercises if you’re pregnant. Along with many other benefits, it helps with regularity since your bowel system is slowed down, gets you out in fresh air, and towards the end of your pregnancy it lets gravity do its job.    I had a 3 mile walking trail out and around my neighborhood that I took every day. I would always try to speed walk the first mile, jog the second mile, and walk the third mile.    If you’re a beginner, try walking at least 20-30 minutes, 3-4x a week and go from there. Walking is an exercise you can keep doing up until the day you go into labor, unless told otherwise by your doctor.
Me, pregnant, after a walk

Apples. A study suggested that if you eat an apple a day you will be 50% less likely to have a child with asthma. There are SO many vitamins & minerals in apples it’s insane. 

Juice Plus. I’ve already talked about JuicePlus+ on this blog, but I truly believe it was a major part in my relatively easy and healthy pregnancy.

Cocoa butter or Bio-Oil. I used cocoa butter every.single.day. after I got out of the shower. Not only does it try to prevent stretch marks, it gives your skin an incredible healthy glow. I think stretch marks might be genetic, but if you can try and help a little bit then why not?

Relatively CLEAN  & HEALTHY eats. First of all, pregnancy is NOT the time to worry about your weight or try to think about ways NOT to gain weight. If you stick to mostly healthy, nutritious eats then your body will do what it needs to do to develop a healthy child. You’re going to gain weight; as you should. Now I wasn’t perfect by any means when it came to eating healthy when pregnant. My worst craving was for Airheads candy, which I ate like crazy for a week or so. I also craved a lot of fruit and warmed-up turkey sandwiches. The first trimester was the worst. Vegetables didn’t sound appetizing what-so-ever. Once the second trimester came, my eating habits got better and salads and vegetables made an appearance back in my diet.
This is what my lunches usually looked like. 

Water. I drank a gallon a day throughout the pregnancy. I’ve always been a huge water drinker but I became more aware of how much I was drinking to make sure I was consuming enough. I would fill up my 32oz water bottle 4x throughout the day. When I felt a little swollen, I would squeeze some lemon juice in the water.

SLEEP. Lots & lots of sleep. Since going out was obviously no longer fun for me, I got to be in bed at a reasonable hour almost every night. With the occasional birthday celebration or what not, our nights consisted of dinner and maybe a movie. One of my favorite parts of pregnancy J  Trust me, once the baby makes their grand arrival, sleep will be a long lost friend for a few months. 

This week is flying past me as I can't believe it's already Tuesday! Yesterday was a day full of working out, shopping, and taking a long walk with my pregnant friend. Today we're going back to the mall to return a few things and MIGHT get to stop and get a pedicure if Sophia goes to sleep in her stroller :) Hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you back here soon!

Love,
ALEX

No comments:

Post a Comment