Monday, April 2, 2012

Breakfast of Champs

Good afternoon! This morning has been quite hectic, but I did manage to go to my Power Plate workout session before anything else. I went to 3 different places for 1 item, which none of them ended up being able to do. Isn't that always fun... After the 3rd place being a no-go, I called it quits and came home to get some food in Sophia's & my tummy.

I’ve always heard good things about Steel Cut Oats and often read about other people eating them on their blogs and in gossip magazines about celebs eating them, but never bought some to try. Two weeks ago while staying at my parent’s house, my dad made me some for breakfast, and ever since then I’ve been hooked. They aren’t as quick to make as putting whole wheat toast in the toaster oven or pouring a bowl of my Kashi GoLean Crunch. They tak about the same amount of time to make as pancakes and eggs but are more on the healthy side. They take me about 15 minutes to make, which gives me enough time to feed the dogs & make my coffee.

Here’s a look at their awesome nutritional profile:
A 1/2 cup serving of cooked steel-cut oatmeal provides only 150 calories. It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, and provides 4 g of soluble fiber, which works to lower cholesterol. It also provides 5 g of protein.  

I love how you can top them with just about anything, depending on what you’re feeling like that morning. I usually put a pack of Stevia in once done along with various items.
Walnuts & dried cherries

Bananas, flax seeds, and walnuts

Walnuts & Craisins
You should try some...they may not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm a fan!

Well, once again it's Monday. How was everyone's weekend? This weekend was amazing esp having Angelo back home. It was exactly what a weekend should be; family, friends, exercise, and fun in the sun. This little booger had a nice nap by the pool yesterday :)


Love, 
Alex




No comments:

Post a Comment