Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Adopting New Thanksgiving Traditions

Hey guys!! How is your week starting off? 

If you're working, the good news is that it's a short week since Thanksgiving is Thursday...unless you work in retail. If you do, then this week just might be your biggest nightmare {screams of horror just thinking about Black Friday}.

I want to know about Thanksgiving family traditions. Because I'm looking to start some :)

The traditions we have in my family is everyone coming to my mom's house to eat food, food, and more food. We usually do 2-3 turkeys! One fried, one baked, and one smoked. Good stuff all around.

So I guess our only "real" Thanksgiving traditions are what's put on the table and who comes to gather around the table. We've gone back and forth throughout the years on different ways to some how go around the table and say what we're thankful for. Whether we write them down on a piece of paper or just go around the table one by one. Nothing has really stuck. The times are changing in my family since my siblings and I are growing our own little families and I think this is a good time to start some new traditions.  

Of course I took to Pinterest to look at what other people do on Thanksgiving (besides cook and eat delicious food) and found some awesome ideas! 

Five Kernels of Corn - just from my preliminary findings there are many different ways to do this.

Thankful Tree - Starting at the beginning of November, ask the kids what they are thankful for. Write each on a different leaf and glue, tape, hang with string, etc onto a tree of choice. 

Blessing Jar - This is very similar to the Thankful tree in that it can be started earlier than Thanksgiving (or just on Thanksgiving day). Everyone in the family writes down things they are thankful for through the year or month. The pieces of paper are read out loud during Thanksgiving dinner. 

Thanksgiving Tablecloth - Start with a plain white tablecloth and set out a pair of permanent markers for family and friends to write down what they are thankful for along with the year. Use the same table cloth every year and watch the blessings grow!

I think I may be starting some new traditions this year! Check back Friday to see which one we adopted!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment