Monday, November 17, 2014

The Trendy Acai Bowl

Food trends are giving fashion trends a run for their money. I love that organic, locally sourced foods, vegetables, and all around healthier foods are "trending" right now, but my ultimate favorite food trends are the "mash ups" because they're fun and sometimes will make you say "umm what?!" Most famous of these mash ups are the cronut (crossiant-donut), the hamburger with a donut as the bun, and the hamburger served on a griddled ramen noodle bun. 

Also in the food trend group, is the Acai bowl. My sister-in-law introduced me to them a couple years ago at the Fit2Run Cafe in Tampa, and I've been hooked every since. I also used to get them at TheJuiceSpot in Miami, you know, the one Lebron's wife opened...the only reason my husband HAD to go there. 

So what is an Acai Bowl and what is acai? How do you even say acai? All questions I had at first.
Acai (pronounced ah-sign-ee) is considered a "superfood" from Brazil. It's a dark purple, berrylike fruit. 

An acai bowl is basically a really thick smoothie made from acai puree, topped with various toppings like granola, shredded coconut, and fruit. Very easy to make your own at home! :) 
This is the frozen puree I use. Look for it in your grocery store's frozen fruit aisle. 

Acai Bowl
What you’ll need:
1 package of frozen acai puree
1 frozen banana
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 cup almond milk (or coconut)
1 tbsp honey
½ cup frozen berries

What you do:
Place everything in blender and give it a whirl!
Top with whatever your heart desires!
I topped mine with BackToNature Almond Vanilla Granola, unsweetened shredded coconut, and chopped strawberries.
ENJOY!


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment