Thursday, November 13, 2014

Balsamic Mushrooms (Steak's BFF)

Oh Happy Thursday! How is your week going so far? Can I get a "hip hip hooray" that it's almost the weekend?!

I've somehow managed to get myself so busy this week that I was up late, after I put the kids to sleep, working! WHAT?! I don't do that...often. I always tell myself and my husband that I'll be working late and then "accidentally" fall sleep. My priorities at 5 p.m. are totally different than my priorities at 9 p.m.

5:00 P.M. Priorities: Cook dinner, tell husband how exhausted I am but have so much to do that I'll stay up working to play catch up.

9:00 P.M. Priorities: Get kids bathed and in bed. Lay head on pillow and all that caring about work goes out the window. Sleep and catching up on Nashville & Scandal are now #1

Funny how that works.

Anyways, dinner last night was perfection! Angelo wanted steaks so I swung by the grocery store and got some good ones! I'm talking organic, grass-fed, big ol' Porterhouse steaks! 

If you're anything like me, mushrooms are a steak's best friend. If you're anything like my husband (and kids), mac-n-cheese is a steak's best friend. So I made both. The mushrooms totally kicked the mac-n-cheese's butt! (In a make believe fight between the two.)


Balsamic Mushrooms
What you’ll need:
2 (8 oz) cartons of baby bell mushrooms, cleaned & quartered
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp EVOO
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp water

What you do:
Clean & cut mushrooms into quarters. Set out to dry completely before going further with recipe.
In a small dish, stir together vinegar, water, and brown sugar until dissolved.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp EVOO over medium high heat.
When melted, add mushrooms & salt and stir until all mushrooms are completely coated.
Let the mushrooms cook, stirring infrequently, until mushrooms are shrunken and a deep brown color. (7-9 minutes)
Turn the heat to low and add garlic and remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Stir until butter is melted.
Add balsamic vinegar mixture to skillet and stir. Let sit for about 1 minute, then transferred mushrooms and sauce to plate or serving bowl.
ENJOY!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment