Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Southwestern Egg Rolls

I had ground turkey in the fridge I needed to use up so I just cooked it without knowing exactly what I was going to do with it. It was Tuesday and tacos usually go with Tuesday but I didn't want tacos. (I know...what was wrong with me?!) I still have egg roll wrappers (feels like an unlimited supply) and I really just want to get them out of my fridge at this point. So there ya have it..

**Fun Fact - Every time we put hot sauce on a taco/burrito/egg roll, we sing "Put some hot sauce on my burrrrit-O Ba-by!!!" If you don't know what I'm referring to...See Here

Southwestern Egg Rolls



What you’ll need:
1 lb ground turkey, cooked
EVOO
small onion, chopped
taco seasoning (see homemade recipe at bottom)
Corn (I steamed a bag of frozen corn) but you can use canned corn
Egg roll wraps
Grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Spinach
Avocado
Water

**You can really get creative with these and add black beans, tomatoes, chili peppers, etc. Whatever you're southwestern heart desires. This is just what I had on hand to make them at the time.

What you do:
Heat oven to 450.
In a skillet, heat up EVOO and cook onion until soft and light brown.
Add ground turkey to skillet and cook until fully cooked.
Add ¼ cup water and taco seasoning to cooked ground turkey, turn down heat to low, and let simmer for about 5 - 7 minutes.
Stir corn into ground turkey and set mixture aside.
Cut up avocado to prepare for egg rolls
Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time, place the wrapper with one corner of the diamond closest to you.  Sprinkle a little bit of cheddar cheese in middle of egg roll wrap, layer with spinach, ground turkey/corn mix, and avocado.
Roll the corner closest to you over the filling. Brush the 3 remaining corners with water with fingertips. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling the egg roll up until it is closed. Press to seal, set on baking sheet, and continue with the remaining wrappers and filling.
Spray the top of each roll with cooking spray.
Bake for 7 minutes, flip over, and bake for 6 more minutes.
Serve with hot sauce & plain greek yogurt (or sour cream).

Enjoy!


Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
¼ - ½ tbsp. crushed red pepper (Depending on desired heat factor)


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment