Friday, October 10, 2014

Sweet Potato Chili

The weather has finally cooled down a bit here on this side of Florida. It'll be in the low 70s in the morning, but then jump up to high 80s by afternoon. (Just because I wrote that, it will probably be back in the 90s tomorrow.)
It's not THAT much cooler, but that little tease of cool weather makes me want to make some good ol' soup, curl up next to a fire in a big sweatshirt. But since I don't see any bonfires in my future for another month or two, I'll settle with a big bowl of chili.

This chili was exactly what I was hungry for. Warm comfort food with a hint of sweetness from the potatoes. 

I don't really like to add much spicy seasonings to my cooking these days since I have little mouths to feed. If you wanted the chili more spicy, you could definitely add a little bit of cayenne pepper to it. 


Sweet Potato Chili

What you’ll need:
1 lb ground turkey
EVOO
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can Rotel (Diced tomatoes with green chilies) Do not drain
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
3 cups chicken broth

What you do:
Cook ground turkey on skillet over medium high heat. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat EVOO over medium high heat. Add in sweet potato, onion, and green pepper.
Sauté until onion softens (about 7 minutes)
Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
Add in rotel, black beans, ground turkey, and broth.
Bring to boil and then turn down heat to simmer. Let simmer for minimum 1 hour. (I let mine simmer for about 3 hours)
Top with choice of toppings.
ENJOY!

We topped ours with Greek yogurt and avocado.Other good toppings would be sour cream, cheese, green onions, and fritos!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment